122 – Administration
A four-day course tailored for administrators. You will learn how to create master data and configure LabVantage to suit the data management needs of your company. As a data architect, you will gain hands-on experience in building: tests to include parameters; parameter lists; calculations and units; limits such as detection limits and specifications; approvals and approval types; schedule plans; instruments and analysts; calculations and more. You will also learn how to perform some application administration such as configuring user security, creating dashboards, changing the table structure and web page design.
The LabVantage application has features that can be broadly divided among three user groups: Application Administration, Laboratory Administration, and daily lab operations. This course addresses two of those user groups: Laboratory Administrators and Application Administrators. This class is the foundation for understanding other administrator-level topics such as report design, web page design, workflow design and other administration concerns specific to your chosen modules.
- Overview: What is the component architecture of LabVantage? How do I start JBoss as a service? Accessing the server and application logs and managing them through the LabVantage application. The LabVantage console, how to log in and use its basic functionality.
- User Security: Security concepts of LabVantage. How to enable and configure departmental security for shielding data. Restricting access to modules, understanding the role based security module restricting the user access to pages and functionality. Grouping roles together using jobtypes and assigning jobtypes to users.
- Parameters, Parameter Lists, and Test Methods: Gain experience in architecting your laboratory’s master data making it conform to the types of tests you perform on your samples.
- Tests: Configure your test methods to handle calculation functions, rounding, unit conversions, detection limits, and manual data review requirements.
- Specifications: Establish your quality assurance pass/fail limits to have LabVantage flag the results when they do not meet your criteria.
- Quality Management: Set up Sampling Plans for manufacturing of products to pre-define sampling and testing requirements for quality control of batches and samples.
- Instruments and Analysts: Identify the instruments that your laboratory uses as well as the calibration and maintenance intervals to make sure preventative maintenance and calibration are performed at the required intervals. Use work orders to demonstrate instrument suitability.
- Queries, Reports and Searches: Design filters for data your users want to see on various web pages. Administer ad-hoc queries. Register and manage reports. Run a configuration report to document and compare configuration between systems.
- Policies: Store and persist global configuration properties within LabVantage to control the behavior of your LIMS.
- Reference Types and SDCs: Creating reference lists to be used for result entry or for property setting. Understanding the System Data Collections and learn how to enhance your installation with user defined columns and reference types.
- Event Plans: Add business logic to your system which can automate functions to fire when values change for a record.
- Export Import: Using the configuration transfer tool for the export of data from one database to facilitate the import into another LV database. Learn how to define a Data File Definition to load data from an Excel or CSV file into LabVantage.
- Scheduler: Define schedule plans automating the creation of samples and assignment of tests based upon a sample collection frequency that you establish. Identify different sampling points and sample sources. See how work orders are generated for sample collection, and completion. Schedule other tasks for completion even if the tasks are not related to pulling and testing samples.
- Web Page Designer: An introduction to the LabVantage Web Page Designer studio which allows you to create and modify web pages used within LabVantage.
- Dashboards: Understand the dashboard, learn how to create new gizmos and make them available for the user to add to his own dashboard. Learn to understand the different types of gizmos and how each gizmo type has its own way of representing data.
Typical daily agenda
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4|
|JBoss Basics||Quality Management||Reference Types and SDCs||Web Page Designer|
|Security||Qualification of Resources||Event Plans||Dashboards|
|Test Method Master Data Configuration||Queries||Export and Import||Open Forum|
Recognizing that every student has a different learning style, LabVantage provides this professionally bound manual to benefit all students especially those who are tactile learners. The student manual consists of 504 pages of indexed chapters each having a table of contents for your reference. The manual provides a printed version of each slide used by the instructor during the presentation, along with prepared notes for your reference after the course. There is an entire printed page for each slide making it easy for you to follow along and take notes with the lectures. This workbook has color prints for the exercises leading you though examples of how to make the best use of LabVantage.